In 1986, the Quetzal Education Research Center emerged out of the relationship between Southern Nazarene University professor Dr. Leo Finkenbinder and Efrain Chacon. The Chacon family pioneered the settling of the Savegre Valley in 1955, and as time went on Efrain allowed the Dr. Finkenbinder and his wife Zana to bring students into the valley for their studies. This partnership resulted in the construction of a small laboratory in 1996 and a larger educational and research facility in May 2001.

Over time the Quetzal Education Research Center has continued to provide excellent research education opportunities to our students, and maintains a state of the art research facility. In partnership with the Chacon Family, and Southern Nazarene University, QERC will continue to provide students, scholars, and the community of San Gerardo de Dota with opportunities to work towards the advancement of scientific knowledge and ecological sustainability.

In the summer of 2015 Southern Nazarene University honored the contribution of Dr. Finkenbinder and his wife, by officially dedicating the research facility as Leo and Zana Finkenbinder Hall.

Leo and Zana Finkenbinder Hall under construction, circa 2000